Friday, June 8, 2007

Flip-Flopera

Sounds like my last entry was all for naught. As I said, I was somewhat surprised when I first heard of Donovan's departure to the NBA from U of F. Although I am not surprised that he turned down the NBA, I am surprised in the way he went about doing this. Telling Orlando that you would be their next coach, and even holding a press conference assurring them of your excitement and commitment to their organization, before revoking those comments less than 24 hours later is bizzare to say the least. I'm having a difficult time understanding Donovan's thought process. I know he is a good and ethical man, and people make mistakes all the time...but this 180 that occurred in a matter of hours is strange, and rivals the Nick Saban Dolphins/Alabama saga that happened not too long ago. The Magic will ultimately get a solid and proven coach in Stan Van Gundy, but what Donovan did to them is mean and brainless. He should not get a free pass here, even though he will since he's a "nice guy" who's been exceptionally successful in recent years at Florida.

No comments: